AT News Report-Kabul: At least three people embraced martyrdom and six others wounded in a suicide attack in Kabul on Saturday morning, said officials, as the death toll could rise.
A suicide bomber blew up himself at 8:20 am in Shashdarak diplomatic area near NATO headquarters and the U.S. Embassy, Afghanistan Interior Ministry spokesman Najib Danish said. Shashdarak is a green zone, heavily guarded by security forces.
He told Afghanistan Times earlier that one person was killed and six others wounded in the attack.
However, deputy Ministry of Interior spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said that casualty count rose to three dead and five wounded. He said that a private company chief was among the dead. Two civilians, two civil aviation staff and an intelligence officer were wounded – who were shifted to hospital for treatment – and thorough investigations have begun on the attack.
Security forces are also among casualties, said Rahimi, adding the attacker was on foot.
Daesh has claimed responsibility for the attack.
The resurgent ISIS and the Taliban outfit have been blamed for increased violence in Afghanistan after U.S. and NATO forces concluded combat missions in 2014.
In Helmand province, two Afghan army service members were killed in Nad Ali district by an attacker driving a military vehicle packed with explosives. An attacker riding an explosives-laden motorcycle had sought to target a security checkpoint in the same area earlier Saturday. However, he detonated his explosives before reaching the target after he was identified by Afghan security forces, the statement said.
The Kabul suicide attack and Helmand bombing were followed by harsh condemnations. In a message, Afghanistan’s chief executive Abdullah Abdullah strongly condemned the terrorist attacks in Kabul and Helmand. “I share the sorrows of our people & the honor of heroes in uniform who sacrificed their lives to save countless others of their countrymen and women. Our forces will chase enemies and avenge the blood of our people,” he said.