Home / Latest Updates / 3 school children killed, 8 injured in Khost mortar attack

3 school children killed, 8 injured in Khost mortar attack

AT-KABUL: At least three school children, including two girls, were killed and eight others were injured on Monday morning when militants fired mortar at a school, Ministry of Education (MoE) said.

“The mortar hit the Spin-Gahi School on Monday at 11:00 am in Bak district of Khost province,” MoE said in a statement.

The ministry “strongly condemned” the attack and said that it was carried out by the “enemies of education” but not blamed any side, involved in the ongoing conflict in the province.

Officials in the ministry of education asked the security forces to detain perpetrators of the “cowardly attack” and to bring them to the court of justice.

A government official in Khost province, who wished anonymity, told Afghanistan Times that the mortar was fired by armed Taliban during an ongoing attack in the area.

Despite continued efforts by the Afghan government and local people to keep all schools open, thousands of school-age children are deprived of their fundamental right in south, southeastern and eastern Afghanistan due to the security threats for the past several years.

Dozens of school students and teachers were killed and injured in the past several years by the armed groups in different parts of the country, but no one has been detained and punished.

The chief of All Afghanistan Federation of Trade Union, Dr Muhammad Adil, said last year in June that the number of child laborers has been persistently on the rise. Around two million children have been pushed into the streets to work and augment their families’ income. Insecurity was underlined as biggest factor.

About admin

Check Also

International Community pledge $12b to Afghanistan for next four years

AT News KABUL: The international community pledged in the Geneva conference to donate 12 billion …

Leave a Reply