AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: As many as 53 Taliban have renounced violence and reintegrated into society through the government-initiated peace process in eastern Nangarhar province, officials said on Tuesday. Five Taliban commanders were also among the 53 insurgents who joined reconciliation process. In a ceremony welcoming the reconciling rebels, Salim Khan Kunduzi, the governor of Nangarhar, said the Taliban were renounced violence earlier were active in subversive activities in Achin, Nazyan, Chanikhel and Momand Dara districts of the province. At the ceremony, he also called on other Taliban insurgents to dump violence and stop the bloodshed of their brothers. He called on them to live in a peaceful atmosphere with their families, if they were Afghans. “The 53 armed militants were led by their five commanders including Abdul Qayum, Qari Khalid, Adam Khan, Waqif and Kabir. They reconciled with the government as a result of efforts by the National Directorate of Security,” Nangarhar peace committee chief, Haji Malak Nazir Told Pajhwok Afghan News.
He furthered that 10 rocket launchers, explosives, light and heavy weapons of insurgents had been handed over to the Disarmament of Illegal Armed Groups (DIAG) program.
A reconciling insurgent leader asked the Taliban fighters who are in the battlefield to come and join the peace process.
According to the provincial peace committee, 737 insurgents have joined the reconciliation program in Nangarhar so far.