AT News Report-KABUL: Following last week’s car bombing in southern city of Lashkagah that left sixteen martyred, a large group of young people initiated a campaign of peace on Monday demanding peace and nonviolence. The protestors set up a camp and went on a hunger strike after their quest for a ceasefire had been overlooked.
One of the protestors in southern Helmand province told Afghanistan Times on Saturday that the protest and the ensuing hunger strike began on Thursday after the Taliban turned a blind eye to their request to renounce violence.
“Some of the hunger striker have lost consciousness and have been hospitalized,” said a protestor, Khadim; “Two hunger strikers were hospitalized on Friday, and five others on Saturday.” He reckoned their health condition is out of danger.
“The sole aim of our hunger strike is to put a halt to the ongoing violence in the country that has been taking a huge toll on the civilian population. We want peace to prevail,” he asserted.
“Some of our hunger strikers went unconscious, but still 30 hanger strikers are in the camp and their only demand is a peace and stability,” another protestor, and organizer of the sit-in, Sifat Sarwan told Afghanistan Times.
“Two days ago high-ranking provincial security officials visited the camp, and showed their readiness to talk with the Taliban anywhere in the province without precondition,” he said.
“But the Taliban group yet to response positively to our demand—the Taliban issued a statement previously, in that statement there was nothing about peace and was nothing about ceasefire,” he added.