By Farhad Naibkhel-KABUL: Ministry of Interior (MoI) on Tuesday said that Afghan police were well prepared to rebuff enemy’s threats in the current year across the country.
“Although there will be threats, but steps have been taken and preparation have been adopted to overcome challenges in better manner and neutralize the enemy’s threats and attacks throughout the country,” said Seddiq Seddiqi, the MoI spokesman.
Ensuring people, he said that police in cooperation with the army would exert utmost efforts fight against enemies and prevent them from conducted subversive activities.
Police force is in a better level than it was last year, they are trained more and have access to further equipment, particularly in fields of air force, he claimed.
“In order to clear areas from insurgents, the Shafaq operation jointly launched by police and army for 15 days in different provinces and is going on very well,” he added.
He said that the operation’s objective was to destroy Taliban’s sanctuaries, their administrative system and targeting insurgents’ key figures in different provinces.
Till date, 57 operations have been conducted in different areas of Helmand, Kunduz, Badakhshan, Faryab, Kunar and Nangarhar provinces, in which 100 rebels have been killed and 12 others wounded, Seddiqi asserted.
He said that 14 Taliban fighters were arrested during the operations.
Enough ammunition has been discovered and seized as well as 35 landmines were neutralized, he noted.
He asked the international community to help Afghan forces and provide them with better equipment.
He added that 12 police officers were dismissed because some organized crimes had taken place in their areas recently.