Home / Latest Updates / Afghan security forces casualties rose

Afghan security forces casualties rose

AT-KANUL: Ministry of Defense (MoD) on Saturday said that Afghan security forces casualties rose this year due to involvement in war and operations across the country.

Spokesman for the defense ministry, General Dawlat Waziri, said that Afghan National Army (ANA) casualties increased in the current year as compared to last year. However, he did not provide further details.

Speaking at a joint press conference with the Ministry of Interior’s spokesman here, he said that involvement of army in operations against Taliban insurgents and terrorists all over the country could be one of the main factors behind increase in the casualties.

He said that after completion of security transition, over 100,000 foreign troops left Afghanistan which is another reason for increase in the casualties.

He said that two years ago, 100,000 foreign troops were involved in fight against terrorism, patrolling the area and had outposts in different provinces, but after pullout of these troops all part of the country were controlled by Afghan security forces, independently.

Regarding the Taliban’s warm-season offensive, General Waziri said that insurgency mostly increase in summer season, adding that despite all challenges ANA remained victorious in the operations and has the capability to fight insurgency and defend the country.

Regarding the ongoing clashes between the government forces and the Taliban in Badakhshan and Faryab provinces, the interior ministry’s spokesman Sediq Sediq said that additional force had been dispatched to the areas to defeat militants.

He said the Taliban suffered heavy casualties in the clashes.

About admin

Check Also

International Community pledge $12b to Afghanistan for next four years

AT News KABUL: The international community pledged in the Geneva conference to donate 12 billion …

Leave a Reply