Home / Latest Updates / Afghan soldier who killed one, injured 7 NATO troops was serving for past two years

Afghan soldier who killed one, injured 7 NATO troops was serving for past two years

AT-KABUL: Afghan solider, who killed one and wounded seven foreign soldiers, was serving in Afghan military for the past two years and took part in several counter terrorism operations, an official said.

Military officials in eastern Afghanistan told Afghanistan Times on Thursday that the soldier identified as Abdul Azim, a native of eastern Laghman province, was serving in Afghan National Army (ANA) for the past two years. “He took part in several military operations against Taliban fighters during his job and had no criminal record” a spokesman for Afghan Army in eastern Afghanistan, said Numan Atifi. He said that non Afghan and foreign officials were there on the scene during the attack as they had already left the house of the provincial governor. NATO press information department in Kabul the other day confirmed that one of their service members was shot dead while cut short of giving details.

However, Atifi said two Afghan and one foreign soldier were killed and seven NATO and one Afghan service members were injured in yesterday’s attack that took place in entrance of the governor house in Jalalabad, the capital city of eastern Nangarhar province.

The attack took place after a delegation of US embassy held a meeting with Afghan governors and military officials of eastern provinces of Nangarhar, Kunar and Laghman.

Taliban spokesman, Zabihullah Mujahid, appreciated the Afghan soldier for the attack, but did not give information about their link with the incident.

Army spokesman said that the Afghan soldier was part of the ANA Unit providing security for the governor house during the meeting at the request of the foreign troops. “We have been investigating whether the attacker had any links with the insurgents or not and more details would be published after completion of the investigation” he said.

About admin

Check Also

Ex-military commander sentenced to three years in prison

AT News KABUL: Zamari Paikan, former commander of public protection forces has sentenced to three …

Leave a Reply