By Farhad Naibkhel-KABUL: The Ministry of Interior (MoI) on Saturday said that Islamic State (IS), aka Daesh terrorist group still posing a serious threat to the national security of Afghanistan.
“Daesh still remain a serious threat to Afghanistan’s security as the terrorist group had harmed and putted people in an uncertain situation in the eastern Nangarhar province,” MoI spokesman, Seddiq Seddiqi told newsmen.
He said that Afghan security forces “will continue operations seriously against Daesh militants” in the province, particularly in Achin, Kot and Deh Bala districts.
These districts considered safe hideouts of the Daesh terrorist group andt hey are living there without any fear. The resident of Achin, Kot and Deh Bala districts had suffered a lot at the hands of militants loyal to the Islamic State.
“Afghan security forces would exert utmost efforts to increase more pressure on Daesh militants, and also prevent them to expand their evil activities to the other areas of the province,” the spokesman said.
He also assured to restrain Daesh militants from gaining route out of Nangarhar province.
It is worth mentioning that Daesh militants recently had torched around 80 residential houses in Nangarhar province that sparked the anger of residents. The residents fled their houses due to growing of insecurity in their areas.
According to some report, Daesh fighters are active in some district of Nangarhar province, particularly in Kot and Achin districts, where they (Daesh militants) are struggling to recruit people in the area.
The Afghan and the US security forces are regularly conducting counter-terrorism operations to root out the loyalists of Daesh terrorists, who are attempting to expand foothold in the country.
On the other hand, Seddiqi said that Afghan security forces have conducted hundreds of operations in Kunduz, Uruzgan, Farah, Helmand and Ghazni provinces aimed at quelling the threats of insurgency in the areas.
Moreover, he said that insurgents’ threats rebuffed in these provinces, and operations against militants were fruitful.
He furthered that the Afghan security forces “will continue operations during winter season in order to suppress insurgents and also to put insurgents’ threat to the lowest point in the upcoming spring offensive across the country.
Beside operations, the Ministry of Interior assigned 20 teams to travel to the provinces, assessing police officers security bases and checkpoints across the country, he said.
“The assigned team would note down shortages of police officers, and the ministry would take steps based on the notice to fill the vacuum,” he claimed
“The ministry will also work with these teams to rehabilitate security bases and institutions that had been destroyed during conflicts,” the spokesman added.