Home / Latest Updates / Government rejects SIGAR concerns over women’s rights in peace process

Government rejects SIGAR concerns over women’s rights in peace process

AT News Report

KABUL: The government rejects a report released by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) that has expressed concerns over women’s rights in the peace process, assuring that achievements gained in this regard would be preserved.

The chief executive office emphasizes that “Afghanistan will never goes back”.

“No right would be violated in the peace process and achievements that were gained in the recent years, will not face challenge or annihilation. These achievements and women’s rights are important to us, so the people and women of Afghanistan should be sure that nobody gets the chance to deal their rights,” chief executive spokesman Feraidoon Khozon said on Monday.

The SIGAR report mentions “Afghan security forces and their counter-terrorism, human rights particularly women’s rights, rule of law and democracy, persistent counter-corruption, counter-narcotics, economic growth and sustainable development as” as key points that would likely come in danger of the peace agreement.

Afghan officials including President Ghani and First Lady Rula Ghani had already urged that women’s rights and freedom would not be dealt in the peace agreements.

The US and European Union also emphasize on the maintaining of Afghan women’s rights in the peace negotiations.

Taliban oppose women’s education and social activities. They banned women from working outside home and closed the doors of girl schools during their fiver-year long government in Afghanistan (1996-2001).

Women activists say that they would not remain silent against those who curb their freedom. “We won’t accept any situation as in the past. We won’t sit silent, we will resist and are ready to defend women’s rights who make up the half of society,” said Roya Dadras, spokeswoman for ministry of women’s affairs.

About admin

Check Also

Karzai condemns Sunday’s terrorist attacks in different provinces

AT News KABUL: Former President, Hamid Karzai strongly condemned terrorist attacks in the provinces of …