AT-KABUL: Kunduz governor urged the Ministry of Interior (MoI) to conduct large-scale military operation against the Islamic States of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants in the province.
Muhammad Omar Safi talking to Azadi Radio on Tuesday confirmed the presence of ISIS fighters in some districts of the province and said that the MoI should take action against the militants group.
He said that they have received complaints about presence of the fighters of ISIS, also known as Daesh, in Chardara, Archi and Imam Saeb districts of the province. Safi added that according to the information they received from local people the dreadful international terrorist group is mostly active in the areas sharing border with Tajikistan.
“Our detective organizations haven’t confirmed presence of Daesh fighters in the province. However we have received reports from local people regarding presence of masked militants in some districts of Kunduz,” the governor added.
He said that the nationality of the fighters was not clear yet, as they avoid speaking with people.
It is worth mentioning that the ISIS fighters in their recent move in Afghanistan kidnapped 30 passengers on Kabul-Kandahar highway in Zabul. According to reports, the terrorist group had previously destroyed shrines in Logar province.
An official in the MoI said that they have made all preparations to start large-scale military operations against all militants in various parts of the country.
Najibullah Danish, a spokesman for the MoI, said that they will soon conduct a military offensive in Kunduz. However, he did not provide details about the exact time of the operation. “Our policy is clear, we will fight against any group who is harassing our people and poses threat to Afghanistan’s security. We will soon conduct a military operation against militants in Kunduz province,” he added.