AT News Report
KABUL: Some non-government bodies involved in supporting media outlets, accuse the government of not doing enough for the security and safety of journalists.
“The Reporters Sans frontiers is listing Afghanistan as the most dangerous country for journalism and journalists for the past two consecutive years. This comes while we are in a better position in the region in the freedom of speech and freedom of press,” Najib Sharifi, head of committee for journalists’ safety said Wednesday on the occasion of the first death anniversary of 10 journalists who were killed in a suicide attack in Kabul.
“Some steps have been taken, but clearly these are not enough and Afghan journalists still lack security,” head of appealing office in the committee of journalists’ safety.
Ebadullah Hannanzai, Fereshta Mahram Dorrani and Sabawoon Kakar from Radio Liberty, Yar Mohammad Tokhi from Tolo TV, Ghazi Rasouli and Nawroz Ali Rajabi from 1 TV, Salim Talash and Ali Salimi from Mashal TV, and Shah Marai from the France Press were killed on April 30, last year in a suicide attack while covering an earlier attack in Kabul.
“Mr. President called us to his office and gave some promises. But as an Afghan, I’d like to frankly say that we have seen nothing yet,” said Nasrollah, a retired army colonel and father of Ebadullah. He asked the government to build a memorial for reporters and other media workers killed in terrorist attacks.
But, culture ministry says that it has taken steps for journalists’ safety. “We assessed 1,500 files of journalist complaints in the past two years,” Sayed Aqa Hossain Fazel Sancharaki, deputy culture minister said.
20 journalists were killed only in 2018 in Afghanistan, according to media supporting agencies.