AT-KABUL: Hundreds of families have fled Wednesday their houses in the Nawbahar village of western Farah province, arguing Taliban militants had gathered to attack the area.
Azizullah, a resident of the village, said around 300 rebels had gathered in the area to attack security check-posts. He said the displeased families had settled in the nearby villages.
Recently, at least 50 Taliban insurgents have been killed and wounded in the area during operations carried out by the Afghan security forces, the residents said.
They said that some displaced people took shelters to their relatives’ houses.
According to the residents, militants on Tuesday night attacked three check-posts of the Afghan National Army in the village. However, the residents were not aware of the casualties sustained to the Afghan security forces in the attack.
Iqbal Bahir, provincial police spokesman, confirmed the clash between Taliban and security forces in Nawbahar. He said so far five militants had been killed and 10 others were wounded. The fighting was still underway.