AT-KABUL: A key commander of the Taliban, Mullah Nasim along with his 15 fighters was killed in a joint operation conducted by Afghan and foreign forces in northern Kunduz province, provincial official said Wednesday.
Provincial police chief Qasim Jangalbagh said that the operation was carried out in Hazrat Sultan area of Kunduz city, the provincial capital with the same name on Tuesday night, detaining 17 insurgents.
“Foreign forces put their weight behind Afghan security forces through air support in the operation,” he said, adding that eight militants were received injuries in the attack.
However, police chief didn’t give further details about military operation in the province.
One day before the operation, Jangalbagh had confirmed that Taliban had killed six captives in retaliation of the death of their commander who was earlier killed by a US drone plane in the Chahardara district.
Two days ago, the US airstrike killed Taliban’s jailor Jannat Gul along with five associates.
Provincial public health officials confirmed that they received six dead bodies of passengers who had been kidnapped by Taliban some time ago and were killed.