AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: Civilians and the Taliban insurgents have suffered casualties during an air-and-ground operation by foreign forces in northeastern Kunduz province, official said on Saturday.
A member of provincial council, Maulvi Khosh Mohammad Nasratyar, told Pajhwok Afghan News the operation was conducted in the Ghroqchlaq area of Chahar Dara district on Friday night.
He said Afghan and foreign forces have been conducting the air-and-ground offensive for the past few days and they carried out the bombardment last night. Nasratyar claimed casualties were also inflicted on civilians.
Naik Mohammad, a resident of the area, confirmed many casualties were inflicted on militants. “The Taliban told residents to collect fighters’ bodies and the injured. The civilians came under attack when they evacuated the dead and injured fighters.”
He added his brother and cousins were among the dead.
Dr. Fahim Mangal, local hospital head, said one body and six injured people had been brought to the hospital from the site.
On the other hand Special Forces official Javed Aslam rejected the claim of civilian casualties. He said 35 militants had been killed and many others wounded.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid, without commenting on the bombardment, claimed many security personnel had been killed and wounded during the operation in Chahar Dara district.