HPC asks Pakistan for Baradar’s address
JALALABAD: A senior Afghan peace negotiator on Sunday asked Pakistan for the address of recently released Taliban’s second in command Mullah Abdul Ghani Baradar.
He said Baradar’s release by Pakistan on Saturday was the result of efforts by the High Peace Council (HPC). But the ex-defence minister was not handed over to the Afghan government.
Islamabad said his release was aimed at advancing the stalled Afghan reconciliation campaign.
HPC deputy head Attaullah Ludin told Pajhwok Afghan News Baradar had been freed after rigorous efforts and persisting demand of the Afghan government.
He hoped the insurgent leader would use his influence to lure rebels into peace talks with the Karzai administration.
Ludin said Baradar being a free man should have a clear address that should help the council access him for peace talks.
He said the panel had been supportive of the opening of Taliban’s office in Qatar, but the bureau was closed down due to subsequent problems.
He said it would have been better if Baradar had been handed over to Afghanistan, adding Baradar seemed in poor health and he was likely to meet his family first. After his health recovery, Ludin said Baradar should have a clear address.
To a question, he said they had urged Pakistan to prevent released Taliban detainees from returning to the battle field. The peace body is trying to pave the ground for opening an office for the Taliban within Afghanistan.
At peace talks, Ludin said Taliban’s first demand would be the release of their detained comrades. “We are ready to cooperate in this regard.”
He accused the international community, some regional countries and individuals of trying to perpetuate the conflict in Afghanistan for the sake of their own interests.
In addition to neighbouring countries and Western powers, Ludin said there were some elements within the system that wanted the war to continue.
“The 40 countries which have come here are not interested in establishing an Islamic system in Afghanistan, but they are here to peruse their own agendas,” the HPC deputy head alleged.
He made clear peace could not be achieved until disgruntled Afghans cut off links with foreign conspirators and common Afghans were enabled to understand the importance of peace.
He insisted peace was the only way to steer Afghanistan out of the current crises, saying the Taliban could come to power if they took part in the elections.
Organization claiming to protect journalists’ rights estab
KABUL: Media Bazaar, an organization which claims is defending media-persons’ rights, has been established to advocate freedom of press. Speaking at a press conference here on Tuesday, the chie.... READ MORE
90pc votes audited: IEC
KABUL: The Independent Election Commission (IEC) on Tuesday said that around 90 percent votes have been audited and the remaining 10 percent would be audited within next few days. IEC spokesman, .... READ MORE
Nato mulls switching to support role in Afghanistan
KABUL: Andres Fogh Rasmussen, NATO Secretary General has said that the alliance will prepare a new chapter in its relationship with Afghanistan, as its combat mission draws to a close. “We have.... READ MORE
Chabahar: A vital transit corridor
The Afghan foreign ministry on Monday said that Kabul, Tehran and New Delhi would soon sign an agreement over Iran’s Chabahar port which would reduce reliance of Afghan and Indian traders on Pa.... READ MORE
LPG price-hike: CoM directs authorities for action against h
KABUL: The Council of Ministers (CoM) on Monday discussed recent hike in prices of liquid petroleum gas (LPG). The Minister of Commerce and Industries said that the ministry was prepared to purch.... READ MORE
Government scrambles to regulate gas price amid soaring infl
KABUL: In the wake of inflation caused by the dragging political crisis, General Union of Oil and Gas Companies of Afghanistan (GUOGCA) on Monday mandated a set price of 60 Afs per kilo of gas, a.... READ MORE
86.2pc ballots audited, says IEC
KABUL: As the audit exercise is gaining momentum, the country’s election commission said on Monday almost 86.2 percent of votes from the run-off polls have been audited and the process is smoot.... READ MORE
EU alarmed over raise in violence against newsmen
KABUL: The European Union (EU) on Monday vented spleen over surge in violence against journalists and freedom of the press in Afghanistan. The EU special representative and head of delegation to .... READ MORE
Iran and blame the victim game
Tehran is continuously interfering in Afghanistan and pressurizing Kabul under one pretext or the other. Iran’s meddling into our internal affairs while giving it name of concern as Tehran did it recently when its ambassa...