AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: Dozens of female students have been hospitalized after suspected gas poisoning in Khuram Sarbagh district of northern Samangan province, said officials on Tuesday.
The development council head of the locality, Qari Tajuddin, said that white powder was sprinkled in the school’s lawn, located in Abdul Malik area of the district. He said that students first felt itching in their bodies and later become unconscious. The students were rushed to the nearby hospital. Health condition of some of the students was stated as critical.
A resident, whose daughter was also among the poisoned students, said that he found white powder with awful smell in the school.
“More than 50 schoolgirls had been poisoned at the school,” said Mohammad Nawab, the acting district chief.
Only eight of students were in critical condition and shifted to the provincial hospital for treatment, he said, adding that the rest of them were admitted in the local hospital.
No group has claimed responsibility. The district police had not arrested anyone in this connection, but the officials said that investigation is underway.