AT-KABUL: The Afghan security forces foiled a plot by the armed militants to attack Kabul city with rockets, the Ministry of Interior (MoI) said Friday.
In a media statement, the ministry said two rockets were confiscated before the militants managed to fire them on the city.
“The counterterrorism forces discovered and defused the two rockets which were planted in Mirbacha Kot district,” the statement added. However, it added that no one has been arrested in connection to the attack.
According to ministry, militants belonging to Mullah Wahiz were likely behind the attack plot and efforts are underway to arrest the militants.
The militant groups including the Taliban insurgents have not commented regarding the report.
This comes as last month two rockets were fired on Kabul city which landed in the vicinity of the key diplomatic area, Shashdarak.
The officials confirmed that the attack did not incur any casualties to the city residents or security personnel.
The rocket attack last month followed days after a deadly suicide attack targeted a mosque in the west of Kabul city ten days ago. The attack left at least 32 people killed and scores of others were wounded.
The loyalists of the Islamic State (IS), also known as Daesh terrorist group claimed responsibility for the attack.
The attack on Baqir-ul-Olum mosque took place almost one and half month after a similar attack ripped through a shrine in Kabul city, leaving at least 18 dead and several others wounded.