Reports on army death toll, bogus: Defense Ministry
AT-KABUL: The defense ministry denied Sunday the reports of the casualties of 700 army soldiers in the past two-week battles as baseless.
Reports 300 soldiers were killed and 400 more injured in clashes with the Taliban fighters within the past two weeks in different provinces. The reports come as Taliban militants accelerated attacks on the army and police outposts. The insurgents captured districts in Baghlan and Faryab provinces and staged deadly attacks on the army posts in Farah province.
“The number of army casualties that the media outlets report is incorrect. Some 300 terrorists were killed and injured. Military equipment are destroyed during the war, but until our soldiers are alive, they do not hand their weapons to the enemy,” said Mohammad Radmanesh, spokesman for defense ministry.
Defense ministry said that 10 soldiers were killed in the Tala wa Barfak district of Baghlan as well as in Farah province, adding that four others were killed in fight with Taliban in Ghor province.
Separately, members of the parliament confirm the increasing casualty in the security forces. GholamSakhiMoshwani, a member of parliament called weak management, lack of proper outposts, corruption in contracts and less attention to the soldiers’ condition as reasons of the casualties.
“Security forces cannot receive timely equipment and arms. This has caused increase in their casualties. Political tensions also put impact on the soldiers’ morale,” Moshwani said.
AT News KABUL: Afghan government announced the closure of the country’s land borders to Iran earlier this …