Afghanistan media has been the usual target of terrorist attacks for years, the deadliest of which was a 2018 bomb attack that killed 10 journalists
KABUL: A roadside bomb struck a vehicle carrying staff of Khurshid local television Saturday afternoon, killing 2 people including a journalist, in what was the second attack on the same broadcasting network in two years.
A roadside bombing resulted in two dead and six wounded Saturday afternoon in Kabul. Two of the victims are in critical condition.
No group or individual has so far claimed responsibility for the attack. Taliban has also denied responsibility.
The editor-in-chief of Khurshid television network, Rafi Sediqi, said two staff members including a journalist and a technical worker were killed and six others were fatally injured during the attack. All victims were transported to the hospital.
Sediqqi says no group or individual has threatened the TV channel recently, but stated that terrorists had targeted the media in the past.
This is the second time terrorists target Khurshid TV staff. Back in August 2019, a bomb struck a vehicle carrying the television staff, killing two people.
The bombing marks continuity of terrorist attacks on media outlets in Afghanistan, which has also led to voices of indignation and condemnation countrywide. Afghanistan media has been the usual target of terrorist attacks for years, the deadliest of which was a 2018 bomb attack that killed 10 journalists.
The U.S. embassy in Kabul immediately condemned the vicious attack that killed two employees of Khurshid TV. “Attacks on the media are attacks on Afghanistan’s freedom and progress. Our deepest condolences to the families of the victims. We stand with free media and are working hard for a peaceful Afghanistan,” said a U.S. embassy statement.