AT-KABUL: At least 29 insurgents were killed by the airstrikes targeted their sanctuaries in the northern province of Baghlan and southern Kandahar, security official said on Monday.
Ministry of Defence said in a statement that 18 militants were killed in Baghan-e-Markzai district of the Baghlan province.
In addition to that, six other militants were received injuries, the statement said, adding that militant’s weapons and explosives depot were also destroyed during the raid, the statement added.
A food stock, four vehicles, five motorcycles, one heavy machine gun and a MK19 automatic grenade launcher were also destroyed in the raid, the statement claimed.
In another airstrike carried out in Shahwali Kot district of southern Kandahar province, eleven insurgents were killed, the statement added, without giving further details.
It is worth mentioning that airstrikes against any form of insurgents had been intensified in all over the country as on Sunday six militants loyal to the Islamic State, known as Daesh, were killed in a US drone strike in the Haska Mina district of eastern Nangarhar province.
Several provincial officials termed airstrikes a very much useful in fight against insurgency in the country. They believe airstrikes against militants should be accelerated and would definitely bear positive result in fight against insurgent outfits.
Killing of 29 militants takes place at a time, when recently officials at the Ministry of Defence said that Afghan Air Forces takes part in 50 to 180 missions on daily basis to support the security forces in the battlefield.