AT-KABUL: The Afghan security forces have killed at least 150 Taliban insurgents during two weeks of operation carried out in five districts of southern Ghazni province, an official said on Wednesday.
In addition to that more than 41 rebels were also wounded during operation.
“Clearing operations still underway in Ghazni city, the provincial capital, and Andar, Giro, Deh Yak, Qarabagh and Zanakhan districts for the past two weeks,” provincial police chief, Brig. Gen. Aminullah Amarkhel told newsmen.
He added despite 150 militants were killed and 41 other wounded, several villages have been cleared from the presence of militants.
Moreover, he said that three commanders of the Taliban—Mullah Ahmadi, Mullah Hanif and Mullah Khalid Mansor were among those killed in the operation.
“I assure Ghazni people that Taliban would not be able to capture even a single checkpoint,” he said.
Mohammad Eshaq, a resident of Tasang area of Deh Yak district, told Pajhwok Afghan News that heavy clashes between Afghan forces and Taliban were ongoing in their areas for the past several days. Civilians also suffered casualties during the clashes, he said.
Noorullah, a resident of Giro district, also said clashes in their areas had been ongoing over the past one month. “Every day at least one house is hit by a mortar shell and several civilians are being killed or injured,” Pajhwok Afghan News quoted him, as saying.
However, a Taliban spokesman, Qari Zabihullah Mujhahid, rejected casualties, adding that there was no operation carried out by Afghan security forces in Ghazni.
He just confirmed the killing of two militants in Gilan district on Tuesday.