AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: Hundreds of doctors and health officials observed a strike and boycotted their duties on Saturday to protest criminal activities in Kunduz province.
The demonstrators warned of big protests if their security was not ensured. The protestors took out to the streets after a son of a doctor was kidnapped in northern Kunduz province.
Demonstrators gathered at the Kunduz Zonal Hospital, asking provincial government for their safety.
“Families of health officials were not safe. A doctor’s son who was kidnapped 10 days ago, remained missing and no attention was paid to his recovery,” the Pajhwok Afghan News quoted Latif Sharifi, one of the protesting doctors, as saying.
“My appeal to government is to provide security for the health officials, otherwise we would boycott duty for the next 48 hours,” he added.
With connection of kidnapping, provincial security officials said that a separate security team had been tasked with securing release of the kidnapped boy.
“Some development had been made in the case,” Provincial Chief Brig. Gen. Abdul Hamid Hamidi said. However, he did not provided further details on the kidnapping.
Regarding demonstrations, the police chief said, “Protest is a democratic right of every citizens.” However, he called on doctors to put an end to the protest bearing in mind importance of their work.
He furthered, doctor’s demonstrators should also keep in mind the problems of people who are suffering from disease that needs urged treatment.