AT-KABUL: Seven people were injured when a suicide bomber targeted convoy of the NATO Resolute Support mission on Sunday morning in Kabul, the capital city of Afghanistan.
While confirming the incident, the deputy spokesman for the Ministry of Interior Najeeb Danish told Afghanistan Times that the suicide attack was carried out in the Jo-e-Shir area at 9:10 a.m. The target was the convoy of foreign troops.
According to the spokesman of Kabul police, Ebadullah Karimi, the suicide attacker rammed an explosives-laden vehicle into the foreign forces convoy. As a result three civilians were injured. The injured were rushed to nearby hospital.
Meanwhile, Ministry of Public Health said that seven wounded people, all civilians, were rushed to the hospital in Kabul. Condition of the injured was reported well.
Media office of the coalition forces in Afghanistan confirmed the attack. The office said that it was an IED blast and the foreign troops suffered no casualty.
Ahmad Gul, an eyewitness, said that he was on bicycle, riding towards the city, when the explosion took place in the area. He said that it was a heavy explosion and destroyed two vehicles of the foreign forces. “I saw three civilians, including one who was riding a bicycle and two drivers, injured in the blast,” he said.
The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. Zabihullah Mujahid, claiming to be the militant group’s spokesman, said that several foreign soldiers were injured in the suicide bombing. However, he did not provide exact figures to prove his claim. Mostly civilians are killed and injured in such blasts.
Foreign media reports suggest that it was a convoy of British troops. Most of the NATO combat troops left Afghanistan last year, but a small contingent focused on training and counter-terrorism operations remains, including roughly 10,000 American soldiers.