KABUL: The Afghan security forces have pushed back a coordinate Taliban’s attack and killed at least its nine fighters in northern Balkh province, defense official said on Monday.
A group of Taliban fighters planned to launch attacks on security outposts in Chahar Bolak and Dawlat Abad districts that had been repelled by the Afghan National Security and Defense Forces (ANDSF) in defensive posture, Ministry of Defense (MoD) Deputy Spokesman, Fawad Aman said.
Fighting between Afghan forces and the Taliban has intensified despite ongoing efforts to succeed a settlement and end the war. Afghan government has released over 300 Taliban prisoners as part of peace talks with the group that so far is in limbo. Moreover, the Taliban, for the first time, had released 20 Afghan security forces prisoners.
It is a belittling progress in the talks, but the government has pressing Taliban for a complete ceasefire at first place, reduction in violence at second to help create a reliable atmosphere to take the peace talks forward.
Taliban attack repelled in Balkh