KABUL: After waves of reaction to the two recent deadly attacks on a maternity hospital and at a funeral in Afghanistan, the Taliban, who denied their involvement in the attacks, called for an impartial probing into the incidents.
The militant said in a statement that attacks on the funeral ceremonies and health facilities is not fitting their policy.
“We want serious, transparent and impartial investigation to be conducted, so the black faces and perpetrators be revealed and held accountable.
The Taliban implicated the Afghan government behind the attacks, saying that Kabul is trying to defame the group’s recognition.
The statement reads that the Afghan government is seeking opportunistic tips to turn up credits and take advantage of such incidents.
The US special envoy for Afghanistan reconciliation, Zalmay Khalilzad, who succeeded to sign a peace deal with the Taliban on February 29th after longtime marathon peace negotiations, has blamed the ISIS or so called the Daesh extremist group behind these attacks.
“The USG has assessed ISIS-K conducted the horrific attacks on a maternity ward and a funeral earlier this week in Afghanistan,” Khalilzad wrote on twitter.
He vowed that ISIS is a threat to the Afghan people and world with demonstrating a pattern of favoring heinous attacks.
“ISIS-K also opposes a peace agreement between the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan and the Taliban, and seeks to encourage sectarian war as in Iraq and Syria,” he added.
On Tuesday, three gunmen attacked on a maternity hospital in the west of Kabul city, killing over 20 and wounding around 60 people. The casualties mostly included mothers and newborn babies.
In the same day, a suicide blast targeted a funeral ceremony in eastern Nangarhar province, in which at least 24 people died and scores of others wounded.
However, the Taliban denied the responsibility for the attacks but the Afghan government said that the group has raison other terrorist network under its territory who now conducts major attacks against the Afghan people.