Home / Latest Updates / Taliban incurred Afs 2.1b loss to Afghanistan: Officials

Taliban incurred Afs 2.1b loss to Afghanistan: Officials

AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: The Taliban-led insurgency incurred a loss of almost 1 billion Afghanis on monthly basis as the group intensified attacks across the country in the past two months, officials said Saturday.

Deputy presidential spokesman Shah Hussain Murtazvi said that the group has so far this year incurred a total loss of Afs 2,149,000,000 by targeting the government and public compounds.

He said the Taliban has left a legacy of murders, executions and violence during the past 20 years which includes their rein in mid-1990s and insurgency after their regime was toppled down.

“The group has not only incurred collateral damage to the country but has also increased violence against the civilians in the past two months,” Murtazvi added.

Calling the attacks on civilians and public infrastructures as a crime against humanity, Murtazvi said that “The group has destroyed 302 schools, 41 health facilities, 50 mosques, 2 bridges and over 170 culverts the past two months.”

The Taliban-led insurgency has been rampant since the group announced its spring offensive in mid-April this year despite efforts by the government to end the violence through reconciliation process.

The UN Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) earlier this month in a new report on civilian casualties renewed its call for all parties to refocus their efforts on preventing harm to civilians, as latest figures released by UNAMA for the first three quarters of 2016 show continuing high numbers of civilian casualties from the armed conflict.

“Between 1st January and 30th September, UNAMA documented 8,397 conflict-related civilian casualties (2,562 deaths and 5,835 injured) representing a one percent decrease compared to the same period in 2015. Ground engagements remained the leading cause of civilian casualties, followed by suicide and complex attacks, and improvised explosive devices (IEDs),” it said in a statement.

About admin

Check Also

Ex-military commander sentenced to three years in prison

AT News KABUL: Zamari Paikan, former commander of public protection forces has sentenced to three …

Leave a Reply