AT-KABUL: President Mohammad Ashraf Ghani has appointed a team of high-level government officials to investigate the Jalrez district tragedy in central Maidan Wardak province, a statement from the Presidential Palace said.
The statement said that the president had nominated a delegation to thoroughly investigate the incident and submit the final report to the presidency as soon as possible.
Battle in Jalrez district broke out last Thursday when heavily-armed insurgents stormed and seized several police posts which left about 30 Afghan Local Police (ALP) dead.
The probe into Jalrez casualties must be in coordination with governor, provincial council members, religious scholars, local elders and stakeholder, the statement quoted president as saying.
However, security officials said that Afghan security forces recaptured the check posts which were previously overrun by the militants. It also said that 40 Taliban militants were killed and 18 other injured in the security operation.
In a meeting with provincial governor and local government officials, the Interior Minister Noor-ul-Haq Ulomi and the Army Chief Gen. Qadam Shah Shaheem who visited Jalrez, promised the locals they will punish those who brutally killed their men in uniform and ordered launching of massive military operations throughout the province against insurgents.
As Taliban started their spring offensives, they have seized a number of areas but security forces have retaken most of them whereas only few areas still remain under their control.