AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: Nearly a dozen militants on Wednesday renounced violence and reintegrated into civil society by joining the Afghan-owned and Afghan-led peace process in western Herat province, an official said.
Before voluntarily surrendering and joining the peace process, the former militants were engaged in anti-government activates in Guzra district of the province, local officials said.
Welcoming ex-insurgents to the peace process, the provincial governor Mohammad Asif Rahimi told a ceremony that all fighters should join peace process by renouncing violence. “They should return into civil society through peace process as their ex-colleagues did,” he said referring to the surrendered militants.
“Our enemies mobilize our youths against us to disrupt our peace but people now know the goals of our enemies and prevent them from executing their destructive plans,” the governor was quoted by Pajhwok Afghan News, as saying.
In presence of the provincial governor, the militants laid down their weapons and pledged to play their active role in improving security situation of the province.
Provincial Peace Committee Head, Maulvi Ghulam Sarwar, said that the reconciling militants would be provided with assistance for the first six months before they are to be recruited in Afghan forces.
The 11-member ex-militant group was active in Syawoshan area of Guzra district and renounced violence following ongoing operations by the local security forces.
Ansar Police Zone commander, Col. Hassan Shah Frogh, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the 11 militants also handed over some weapons and ammunition to police.
Mohammad Hussain, the group commander, said they had been fighting against the government for some reasons.
Around 1,220 militants has so far joined peace process since the beginning of the peace process in Herat province.