AT-KABUL: At least one hundred-seventeen Taliban insurgents were killed and forty-three others wounded in different clearance operations conducted by the Afghan security forces across the county within past 24 hours, security officials said on Sunday.
In a press release issued here, the Ministry of Defense, said that the Afghan National Army in collaboration with Afghan National Police and National Directorate of Security operatives had conducted a joint clearance operations against insurgents in different districts of Ghazni, Paktia, Paktika, Khost, Kandahar, Farah, Badghis, Takhar, Baghlan, Kunduz, Sar-i-Pul, Jowzjan, Balkh and Helmand provinces, in which 117 Taliban insurgents including two commanders (Qurishi, and Heydar) were killed and 43 others injured.
Unfortunately, seven soldiers were also killed during clashes with the Taliban insurgents, the statement added.
It is worth mentioning that recently Afghan security forces lost their lives during ongoing fierce fighting between Taliban insurgent in different parts of the country.
Recently, General John Nicholson, the commander of US and NATO forces in Afghanistan said that more than 900 Afghan security personnel died in July while battling Taliban insurgents.
General John Nicholson of NATO’s Resolute Support mission made the revelation during a year in which Taliban fighters have made territorial advances, fighting Afghan forces in more than half of the country’s 34 provinces.
In July, “there were over 900 martyrs in the Afghan army and police. This is almost a brigade of soldiers and police, and we should not forget for one minute the sacrifice that they are making even as we meet here today,” Nicholson said at a Kabul conference attended by Afghan leaders and foreign diplomats.
According to US military estimates, Afghan forces suffered around 20,000 casualties, including nearly 5,000 dead, during last year’s fighting.