AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: Some 12 Taliban insurgents have renounced violence and joined the peace drive in eastern Nangarhar province, said an official on Tuesday.
The provincial governor Salim Khan Kunduzi told Pajhwok Afghan News that a group of 12 Taliban militants who were involved in various terrorist activities on the Jalalabad-Torkham highway in Shinwari and Mohmand dara districts of the province have joined the reconciliation drive and renounced violence on Tuesday.
The reconciling commander of the group was identified as Mullah Rabbani, who along with his fighters contacted the government and said that they were ready to surrender and start a peaceful life, said the governor.
As the quadrilateral meeting held between the four nations in Islamabad on Monday, Kunduzi invited insurgent groups to stop killing their Afghan brothers at the behest of others and join the peace process and live peacefully with their families in their own country.
Meanwhile, the High Peace Council (HPC) chief Haji Malak Nazir said that recently many Taliban militants have contacted the HPC and informed that they want to join the peace process.
According to the peace committee at least 810 insurgents have so far joined the peace drive in Nangarhar.