AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: Nearly 200 school students have been hospitalized after they were poisoned in Zaranj, the capital of southwestern Nimroz province, an official said on Tuesday.
“The poisoned students, including the girls, were enrolled at Shahid Naheed and Shahid Gul Makai Schools,” Provincial Public Health Director, Dr. Noor Ahmad Sherzad was quoted by Pajhwok Afghan News, as saying.
He said that the students immediately fell unconscious after entering classrooms. “These schoolchildren were poisoned with gas.”
The poisoned girls, aged between eight and 16 years, were shifted to the hospital for medical treatment, he said. “Their health condition is stable.”
“I smelt a gas as soon I entered my classrooms. After a few minutes, I fell unconscious and don’t know what happened later on,” Ghafar, one of the students was quoted by Pajhwok, as saying.
This is not the first incident in its nature, as about a week ago, hundred school students were also poisoned in Nimroz province.