AT-KABUL: Twenty-eight Taliban insurgents including four commanders were killed in an operation going on, while hundreds of people have left their villages due the fear of war in Pashtun Kot district of north-western Faryab province, local officials said Monday.
The spokesman for 209 Shaheen Military Corps Maj. Reza Rezaee said that the first vice-president Abdul Rashid Dostum lunched clearing operation called (Sword 25) in Pashtun Kot, in which 28 Taliban insurgents have been so far killed and six others injured.
He said the operation was conducted two days ago backed by the local youth who are uprising against Taliban. There are foreign militants especially Uzbek fighters with the Taliban, Rezaee said.
He added that six soldiers were wounded.
The spokesman for Shaheen military corps added: “We have dropped 4,000 sheets from helicopters in the area to call on the Taliban to surrender within six hours. Otherwise, they would face hard death.”
Meanwhile, Massoud Ahmad Massoud, deputy of National-Islamic Movement party led by Dostum said 32 Taliban insurgents including their commanders Maulavi Kandahari, Haqyar, Ghani and Maulavi Ezzatollah were killed and dozens of them were injured in Khwaja Musa village.
A tribal elder who wished to go unnamed, said hundreds of families had fled to secure places.
Another report says that 120 insurgents including Hamidullah Akhund, Abdul Malik and Amanullah Taliban’s powerful commanders in the area were captured.