AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: In line with the President Donald Trump’s new strategy, more than 3,000 additional US troops are on their way to Afghanistan, it has been reported on Tuesday.
Defense Secretary, James Mattis told a news conference at the Pentagon he had signed the order to send more troops to the war-torn country at the end of last month.
“The troops—half of them from the 82nd Airborne—would stat deploying over the next few days, the secretary was quoted as saying by CBS news channel.
Last month, Trump rolled out a “conditions-based approach” to assessing troop levels for further military operations in Afghanistan.
Mattis, however did not give precise numbers, but said he was sending over 3,000 troops to Afghanistan. Some 11,000 American forces are already stationed in the country.
“Frankly I haven’t signed the last of the orders right now as we look at specifics,” he said. “Most of them are on their way or under orders now and I’d prefer not to give anymore information that helps the enemy.”
In February, senior US commander Gen. John Nicholson had requested several thousand additional soldiers to help break the stalemate.