AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: As many as 34 Taliban militants have been killed in a joint Afghan-foreign forces operation in Marja district of southern Helmand province, said an official on Wednesday.
In addition 16 other insurgents were wounded.
Spokesman for the 215th Maiwand Military Corps, Maj. Mohammad Rassoul Zazai, told Pajhwok Afghan News that the district’s main road had been cleared of landmines as the residents of the district faced several problems and had to use the Nawa district road to travel to Marja district.
According to the police spokesman Shah Mahmood Ashna, the operation was still continued in which the Taliban insurgents have suffered heavy casualties. He said the security forces have succeeded in retaking most of areas from the Taliban.
However, the Taliban spokesman Qari Yousuf Ahmadi denied the casualties suffered by the Taliban and claimed that the security forces had suffered casualties during the clashes in Marja district.
Helmand province has become the nest of the Taliban militants. Afghan security forces backed by foreign troops are conducting operation to eliminate the insurgents from the province. According to Pajhwok Afghan News, currently, the Taliban are operating in Musa Qala, Baghran, Nawzad and Deshu districts of the province.