AT-KABUL: At least 37 civilians were killed and 35 were injured in an ongoing Taliban group attack on residential apartments near to Kandahar International Airport, according to Afghan officials.
The attack began late yesterday afternoon when a group suicide bombers, believed to be 10 to 14, entered to Civilian Township near to Kandahar airport and started fighting against Afghan security forces.
Till Tuesday afternoon, nine of the attackers have been perished, who had taken positions inside a school, shops and residential apartments, where army and common citizens’ families live.
According to Ministry of Defense till Wednesday afternoon 37 civilians including women and children were killed and 35 more were injured.
The remained “terrorists” have taken two families including women and children as hostages and use them as human shield against Afghan security forces” according to army officials in Kandahar.
Afghan special forces were searching the residential apartments and nearby facilities “carefully and one by one” to eliminate the “terrorists and to prevent more casualties among civilians” Mohsin Sultani an army spokesman in Kandahar told Afghanistan Times.
Militants had succeeded to bring enough light and heavy arms in to the scene of the attack.
Most of the commercial flights have been delayed to and from Kandahar Airport by authorities to ensure safety of the passengers, airport officials said.
Militant press wing on social media claimed their suicide bombers were fighting against Afghan and foreign troops.
But the NATO press office in Kabul in a statement said Taliban were blocked out of the airport by Afghan troops. It said there had been no report on casualties among foreign troops.