KABULL: Interior Minister, Mohammad Massoud Andarabi said that top Taliban commanders were among the 600 militants killed by the Afghan security forces within the past two and a half months in southern Kandahar province.
Minister Andarabi and Defense Deputy Minister Shah Mahmood Miakhil visited Kandahar on Sunday to praise the Afghan security forces for their unflinching fight against the militants.
Andarabi in a TV interview said that disputes among the Taliban rebels from Kandahar and Taliban from Zabul and Farah have recently increased. “The Taliban focused on fighting in Kandahar and Helmand in the winter but they suffer heavy casualties,” he added
Kandahar has recently seen an upswing in clashes between the Afghan security forces and Taliban. But Andarabi said that the security forces thwarted the insurgents’ plans to threaten the security situation in the provincial capital city.
“I hope the Taliban take a lesson from their failure in the Kandahar war that peace is the only way to an agreement,” he said.
The Taliban has not commented on the issue so far.