Media misquoted police chief, says provincial police spokesman
AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: An Afghan security official blamed Pakistan’s military for having hand in last week’s Indian consulate attack in Mazar-e-Sharif, TOLONews reported Tuesday.
Balkh Police Chief, Sayed Kamal Sadat termed Pakistani military behind the attack that lasted 25 hours.
“Assailants were Pakistani troops who stood fighting Afghan security forces with special tactics,” he said, adding that the attackers were well-trained who managed to last fighting for more than 24 hours despite siege by Afghan security forces.
“We saw with our own eyes and I can say 99 per cent that they were from Pakistan military,” Sadat was quoted by the Tolonews broadcaster as saying.
“We defeated them only by Allah’s grace,” the provincial police chief said.
He assured of efforts to identify and arrest those people who helped the attackers enter the building opposite to the Indian consulate.
They were not able to talk Dari or Pashtu, he added, referring to the two official languages of Afghanistan. “We are jointly working with the NDS (spy agency) and have spoken about this,” he added.
According to him, it was clear that someone else helped the attackers.
The attackers found the way to a building opposite the Indian consulate and started firing at the consulate building.
The assault left one police killed and nine people including three civilians received injuries.
However, Bakh Police spokesman Sher Jan Durrani has said that the provincial police chief was misquoted by “the media” as the investigation was still underway and the report had not been finalized.
In a visit to Mazar-e-Sharif the outgoing Indian ambassador Amir Sinha lauded the Afghan security forces for timely action against assailants. He also assured of his country’s willingness to provide medical treatment to those who were wounded in the attack.