Civilian casualties exceed 2,000 in first quarter of 2018: SIGAR
AT-KABUL: The Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction (SIGAR) said Tuesday that 2,258 people have been killed and injured in Afghanistan in the first quarter of the current year.
763 civilians have been killed, while 1,495 more wounded, the SIGAR said.
The civilian casualty has decreased by 15 per cent during the ground offensive in the mentioned period of time, the Virginia-based organization said in a report. It added the casualty had a bit increase compared to the same time in 2017, warning that the civilian casualty was still in a high level.
The SIGAR added that most of the casualties were caused by the suicide attacks that cover over 33 per cent of dead and wounded.
The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA), has expressed concerns over the civilian casualties, accusing the “anti-government forces” of causing increase in the casualties.
It added that 67 per cent of attacks were carried out by the insurgents that show a six per cent increase compared to the same time of last year.
The SIGAR report called Taliban militants responsible for 50 per cent of casualties of the first quarter of 2018, Daesh terrorist group responsible for 11 per cent, unknown armed groups for four per cent and two per cent were killed or injured during the clashes between hostile sides.
The pro-government forces are responsible for 18 per cent of civilian casualties, according to the SIGAR report.
AT Kabul: Qatar’s government has announced the release of an Austrian detainee in Afghanistan, facilitated …