AT News Report-KABUL: Dozens of schools that has been closed by the Taliban in areas under their control in southeast Logar province—has said to be reopened after deal attained with the group, officials said on Saturday.
Salim Saleh, a spokesman for the provincial governor of Logar, said that classes “are expected to resume in the afternoon on April 7 or April 8” in at least 30 schools in the province’s Charkh district after a week-long interruption.
“Deal to reopen the school was reached after negotiations between the Taliban and tribal elders in the area,” Saleh was quoted by RFE/RL.
After a night raid that conducted by Afghan forces, in which several militants and one of their commander were killed, the Taliban insurgents in retaliation has closed schools. This was happened on March 31.
Some media outlets have reported that key leader of the Taliban, Mualvi Mohammad, was killed in the night ride of March 30—one day after the Taliban insurgents closed the door of schools against students.
According to Saleh, the Taliban’s move left some 12,000 students out of school in Charkh, which is about 60 kilometers south of the Afghan capital.
The official had previously said that authorities were in contact with influential tribal elders and religious scholars in Charkh in an attempt to secure the schools’ reopening.
Previously, provincial officials informed of closure of at least 30 schools in Chaark district in reaction to night raid against the militants.