AT-KABUL: At least eight civilians were killed and 20 others wounded Saturday after their vehicle struck a roadside bomb in western Farah province, said officials.
“The incident took place in the Bala Bulok district,” said Provincial Police Spokesman, Iqbal Bahir, adding that the bomb was placed by the Taliban militants.
“Four women and two children were among the killed,” he added.
Taliban insurgents had earlier claimed that these people were killed by an airstrike carried out by the Afghan air force.
Bahir rejected the Taliban’s “propaganda”.
“The enemies of Afghan people struggle to hide their inhuman and cruel acts with blaming to Afghan security forces.”
Afghan forces always conduct operations carefully in order to prevent civilian casualties across the country, he added.
Farah Governor Spokesman Naser Mehri confirmed the killing of civilians in the Bala Bulok district, saying that “due to ongoing clashes between Afghan forces and Taliban, these people used to escape the area”.
He said that these civilians were escaping the area while their vehicle hit by a roadside bomb.
“In order to mare Afghan forces operations Taliban has planted mine on roads in some area in the district,” he noted.
According to reports, 10 Taliban insurgents were killed and 12 others received injuries in the past 2-day operation in the district, and the Afghan security forces are on full swing to clear the district from militants in the near future
Ministry of Defense Spokesman General Dawlat Waziri said that the Ministry of Defense would assign a delegation to probe the recent killing of civilians in Farah province.