Ghani, Karzai, Abdullah condemn attack
By Mansoor Faizy-KABUL: A suicide bomber, riding an explosive-filled car, targeted a mini-bus of a private TV channel on Wednesday evening in the capital city, Kabul. At least eight people were killed and 28 others injured, sources told Afghanistan Times.
The mini-bus was carrying broadcaster staff of TOLO TV when came under the attack.
The target was bus of the Kaboora Production, part of the Moby Group, a media company running TOLO channel, the country’s popular private TV channel, Kabul police spokesman Basir Mujahid said.
TOLO TV confirmed that the attacker targeted its bus.
Najeeb Danesh, spokesman for interior ministry, said that the attack took place in the seventh police jurisdiction near the Russian embassy.
The injured were shifted to the nearby hospitals, health ministry’s spokesman Ismail Kawoosi told Afghanistan Times.
Several vehicles were destroyed and the windows of the houses and stores in the area were shattered, eyewitnesses said.
The Taliban has also claimed responsibility for the attack.
The Taliban had earlier threatened to target TOLO and 1TV channels after the broadcasters reported of vast human rights violations by the militants after they captured the northern city of Kunduz in late September. The group accused the two channels of propagating against them.
The attack was followed by vast condemnations.
President Ashraf Ghani termed it “the act of coward terrorists”.
“Such cowardly attack will not prevent Afghans from raising their voice against brutality of enemies of the country,” ex-president Hamid Karzai said in a statement.
Karzai termed it an attack on media freedom and freedom of speech, saying such attacks would not deter Afghans from accessing their fundamental rights (freedom of speech).
Chief Executive Officer, Abdullah Abdullah, extended his condolences to the families of the victims.
The United Nations office in Afghanistan said that it was “gravely” concerned by the attack on media workers in Kabul.
“UNAMA condemns those responsible for deaths and injuries of civilians in Kabul bombing today. UN gravely concerned by today’s attack on media workers in Kabul,” UNAMA twitted.
Condemning the attack scores of media organizations including Afghanistan Times demanded a quick probe into the incident, and said that attacks on media outlets are unacceptable. They said that today’s attack was an attack on freedom of speech. They said that it’s unacceptable to see journalist being attack while they are simply doing their job.