Home / Latest Updates / Every Afghan wants peace and ceasefire, says survey

Every Afghan wants peace and ceasefire, says survey

AT News

KABUL: A survey launched by the Friedrich Ebert Foundation and the Afghan Policy Group says that every Afghan wants peace. It says that 60 per cent of Afghans are optimistic to gaining of peace, while 40 per cent express concerns over the process, looking at it from ambiguity glasses.

The survey has interviewed 600 people from different social classes in the provinces of Balkh, Bamyan, Kandahar, Nangarhar and Herat in a two-month job.

It has asked questions about peace and economic development, peace and neighboring states, peace and co-existence, peace and security, peace and education as well as peace and justice.

Mohammad Fahim Hashemi, from the Afghanistan Policy Group has said that 60 per cent of the people are optimistic to peace while the remaining 40 per cent are concerned if peace was not gained.

He said that people interviewed, want a moderate economic development across the country far from political, ethnic and regional options. They have also demanded cooperation with the neighboring countries.

They have said that seminaries are teaching religious lessons, while children should be provided with general education first.

These people have called for a ceasefire between the government and Taliban as the initial step toward peace.

Also questions about the post-peace situation like; how would be it when Taliban come? And government’s role in peace was asked.

Leila Jafari, an official at the state ministry for peace, said: “Peace is not gained lonely and we cannot succeed to gain peace lonely.”

Sima Samar, special presidential envoy and state minister on human rights, criticized that victims of war were not paid attention, saying that however, the majority of people want peace.

About admin

Check Also

‘U.S. not prejudging outcome of intra-Afghan talks’

AT Monitoring Desk KABULL: The US Deputy Special Representative for Afghanistan Reconciliation Ambassador Molly Phee, at the …