AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: At least 31 Taliban militants were killed during overnight airstrikes carried out by the Afghan Air Force in Nawa and Awghaz districts of southern Ghazni province, an official said on Saturday.
Mohammad Hanif Rezaee, spokesperson for the 203rd Thunder Military Corps, told Pajhwok Afghan News the Afghan Air Force launched air raids in the Khairkhel area of Nawa district late on Friday night.
He added 23 militants have been killed, including 17 foreign militants, and four others sustained deep injuries, adding, Taliban’s hideouts and their two vehicles were also targeted and destroyed during the overnight raid.
Commenting into the matter, Mohammad Arif Noori, the governor’s spokesman, said the Afghan National Army (ANA) has taken control over a huge cache of weapons in Moqur district. He added the cache was composed of heavy and light weapons and landmines.
Moreover, eight rebels were killed and four others wounded during an airstrike conducted in the Akhoundkhel area of Awghaz district.
“A coordinated air and ground operation has been underway in insecure areas of Ghazni and most of which had been cleared of insurgents,” Noori claimed.
On the other hand, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid confirmed airstrikes in Nawa district, claiming the security forces had suffered casualties at the hands of militants.
Nawa is one among the volatile districts which has been under Taliban control for the past 14 years where military operation has been kicked off after several years.