AT-KABUL: As criticisms grow on government’s decision to back Saudi Arabia on Yemen war, Chief Exertive Officer (CEO) Abdullah Abdullah on Monday said that he wants to make it clear that the National Unity Government (NUG) has come up with the decision after consultations with Jihadi leaders, religious scholars and the National Security Council (NSC).
Reports recently were circulating that President Ghani and the CEO Abdullah had different viewpoints about NUG’s stance on Yemen conflict.
Earlier on Friday, the CEO told a ceremony in Kabul that the NUG will never takes sides on Yemen war. He said the government will support Saudi-led coalition on Yemen war only if Kaaba is under threat.
However, Abdullah told cabinet meeting that the stance is crystal clear. “A threat to holy places is a threat to all Muslims over the globe,” he added.
He said Yemen’s legitimate government was recognized by the international community and Afghanistan has the same stance. He added Kabul wants the crisis to be settled through peaceful and diplomatic channels.
Saudi Arabia-led coalition launched airstrikes a week back targeting positions of Iran-backed Houthi rebels in Yemen.
The Presidential Palace on late Wednesday issued a statement where it announced that Afghan government backs Saudi Arabia on Yemen conflict.
Afghan critics believe that the Afghan government should not take sides on such issues, as the country itself is trapped in different problems and there is no space for new challenges. They said that Afghanistan will be changed into a new ground for proxy war if it took sides on Yemen dispute.