AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: The security forces have repulsed Taliban’s complex attack on the Hesarak district of eastern Nangarhar province, inflicting Taliban heavy casualties, local officials said on Saturday.
However the Taliban claimed that they captured the district.
Nangarhar police spokesman Hazrat Hussain Mashriqiwal, told Pajhwok Afghan News a large number of insurgents, including foreigners, suffered casualties after the arrival of reinforcements in the district.
Moreover, the province governor’s spokesman, Attaullah Khogyani said that 41 insurgents were killed and a large number of others received injuries in security forces’ retaliatory attacks.
He said that Afghan Air Forces struck insurgents hideout after clashes erupted in Hesarak. “Foreign militants were also among those killed in the raid.”
He further went on saying: “Afghan Special Forces reached the district and started fighting insurgents.
He rejected the report that Hesarak district had fallen to the Taliban, saying that two security forces were also killed and three other received injuries during clashes.”
However, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid claimed Hesarak had been overran by militants. Many Afghan security personnel had suffered casualties during clashes, he said.
Taliban attacked comes after they (Taliban) captured Khanabad district of the northeastern Kunduz province on Saturday.
“Taliban insurgents conducted attack from different directions on the district where the Afghan security forces retreated, provincial police spokesman Hajratullah Akbari told Afghanistan Times.
“Security forces are planning to carry a military operation in order to retake the district.”
Moreover, he said that Afghan security forces repelled Taliban’s attack in Ali Abad district of Kunduz province.
“Taliban insurgents conducted a complex attack on the district, but the Afghan security forces repulsed their (Talban’s) attack.”