AT-KABUL: Ministry of Interior on Thursday claimed 14 percent increase in insurgent casualties.
Addressing a press conference, the spokesman of the ministry Seddiq Seddiqi said that police activities increased 70 percent as compared to the last year. Around 2,500 operations have been conducted in collaboration with other law enforcement agencies to eliminate insurgents, he said.
“Nearly 5,635 terrorists have been killed in the first six months of the current year, showing 14 percent increase in the casualties of the enemies,” said the spokesman while briefing news reporter on the six months report about police performance.
According to the report, activities of the insurgents increased by 34.4 percent and civilian casualties by 9.2 percent as compared to the first half of the past year.
He said that security situation was improving in Kunduz province. Seddiqi said that clearance operation would continue till Kunduz city was cleared of the militants. “Taliban insurgents are still there in different parts of the city. The operation will continue in the city and other districts of the province till neutralization of the threat,” the spokesman said.
When asked about nationalities of the terrorists in Kunduz province, he said that Pakistani, Uzbek and Chechen militants were there besides Afghan Taliban. He furthered that there was no impediment hampering movement of the security forces as the Baghlan-Kunduz highway was opened.