KABUL: Officials in Kunduz, an insecure province in the north warn of the fall of the Imam Saheb district to Taliban, while intensive clashes are going on there between the insurgents and government forces.
Gholam Rabbani Rabbani, a member of provincial council, said that the militants have attacked the district from multiple directions early Monday.
He said that reinforcements arrived in the area, adding that the attackers did not take any area.
The Taliban fighters exploded a bridge on the Kunduz-Imam Saheb road and have blocked the way for traffic.
Clashes between government forces and Taliban have been going on in the adjacent province of Baghlan, where the insurgents attacked the Baghlan-e-Markazi district last week.
The militants also attacked the Arghanjkhwah district of Badakhshan in the northeast Monday night, but were driven back by government’s air force.
Taliban militants have intensified and expanded attacks in different provinces since the US president announced in April to withdraw American troops from the country by September 11. The insurgents left the intra-Afghan negotiations began in September in Qatar and announced not to attend another meeting planned to be held this month in Turkey.
They took control of the Burka district of Baghlan province last week, forcing government forces to retreat.