AT Monitoring Desk-KABUL: Most of parts of Achin district of eastern Nangarhar province have been cleared of the Islamic State (IS) militants, said a local official on Sunday.
Ahmad Zia Abdulzai, spokesman for the provincial governor office, told Radio Azadi that at least 150 IS fighters have been killed over the past two weeks and most parts of the district have been cleared of the insurgents. “The militants control few areas in the district and fighting between Afghan security forces and the insurgents is ongoing,” he added.
He said that security forces in cooperation with local people have established six security outposts in the district. He added that most of the IS fighters are foreigners.
The commander of 201st Selab military corps, Muhammad Zaman Waziri, had previously said that the IS militants wanted to collapse districts of Nangarhar province and then they wanted to attack the provincial capital, Jalalabad city. He said that Afghan security forces foiled evil designs of the terrorist group.
He said that after facing defeated in Nangarhar the terrorist group has turned its focus to neighboring Kunar province.