Kabul: Qatar has vowed to stand with Afghan women as they continue to face “irrational” restrictions by the Afghan interim government, Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani said on Tuesday.
In an interview with CNBC Middle East, Sheikh Mohammed said Qatar has been reaching out to the Afghan authorities to understand the rationale behind the restrictive policies towards women and girls.
The top diplomat said Doha cannot see such policies rationalised from either a religious or cultural perspective, and confirmed his country is currently involved in consultations with other Muslim nations to “deal” with the situation.
“It’s just more and more provoking and making the situation much worse for them and for the Afghan people, we’ve been trying to reach out recently after these decisions take place. We’ve been trying also through other means jointly with other Muslim countries to talk to them and to go together,” Sheikh Mohammed said.
Last month, the acting Afghan government suspended university education for Afghan women and girls. Days later, the caretaker government banned Afghan women from working in local and foreign non-governmental organisations.
Qatar had voiced its concern over both moves at the time and urged the administration to review its decisions.
Since the most recent takeover in 2021, Qatar has repeatedly called on the caretaker Afghan government to use the examples of Muslim countries, like Doha, where women play various roles in different sectors.