AT-KABUL: Taliban on Tuesday announced its spring offensive entitled “Operation Omari” across the country, saying that Afghan and foreign troops would be their most targets.
In a statement the group said that operation began at 05:00 am on April 12.
The statement said that the operation would employ large scale attacks on Afghan and foreign forces’ positions across the country and tactical attacks against their strongholds, and assassination of Afghan and foreign forces commanders in urban centers.
It said that by employing such a multifaceted strategy, it is hoped that the foreign enemy will be demoralized and forced to evict our nation
“The Islamic Emirate’s armed Jihad against the American invasion has completed fourteen years and is now in its fifteenth year. Jihad against the aggressive and usurping infidel army is an obligation upon our necks and our only recourse for reestablishing an Islamic system and regaining our independence,” the insurgent group said.
In reaction to Taliban’s statement, Ministry of Defense said that Afghan forces are well-prepared to rebuff insurgents’ subversive attacks across the country.
“Our voice is peace. Taliban must join reconciliation process and do not damage their homeland and do not kill Afghan people,” defense ministry spokesman Dawlat Waziri told to Afghanistan Times.
“Afghan forces are well-prepared to defend the country and people.”
“As usual, Taliban release such statements to create propaganda, but they will fail,” Waziri added.
Taliban had said last year that they would take a number of provinces and districts and establish large Taliban centers, but they could not, Waziri said.
They will fail again in fighting with Afghan forces, at any part of the country, he underlined.